John Terry announces retirement


England defender John Terry called time on his playing career after 2 decades of playing at the highest level. Terry, who was a free agent after his contract with Championship side Aston Villa last season, took to his Instagram page to make the announcement saying, "After 23 incredible years as a footballer, I have decided now is the right time for me to retire from playing."

The former England captain who won 78 caps for the Three Lions later added, "As a 14 year-old, I made the biggest and best decision: to sign for Chelsea. Words will never be enough to show how much everyone at the club means to me, in particular the fans."


"To me, you are the best fans in the world. I hope I have done you all proud wearing the shirt and the armband. I want to thank my amazing team-mates, coaches, managers and backroom staff, who I was honoured to work with and learn from."
"They all guided me on my way to playing 717 games for the club I love, and it was a privilege to serve them as captain. I look forward to the next chapter in my life and the challenges in my head."
Terry was one of the best defenders of his generations for his leadership, reading of the game, tenacious and commanding presence, he made 717 appearances for the Blues scoring 67 goals, winning five Premier League titles, five FA Cups, the Europa League in 2013 and the Champions League in 2012.
He was also awarded UEFA Defender of the Year on three occasions in 2005, 2008 and 2009, part of the FIFpro XI four times and was the PFA Player of the Year in 2005.
After leaving Chelsea, he joined Aston Villa making 36 appearances leading them to a Play-off Final where they lost to Fulham. This also makes speculation on whether Terry will be involved in the Aston Villa setup after Steve Bruce was sacked with Thierry Henry likely to take the job. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UEFA Euro 2024: Group A Preview

UEFA Euro 2024: Group F Preview

UEFA Euro 2024: Group B Preview